Whether you want to control light switches or appliances remotely, automate the turning on and off of your devices, or just add some intelligence to any standard power device, a smart plug is an excellent option.
These simple devices can add smart remote control and automation to anything that uses a standard home power outlet. Simply insert these plugs into any outlet and connect them to your Wi-Fi router using an app on your phone for complete control from anywhere in the world. They’re also ideal for use with voice assistants like Amazon Alexa [Artificial Intelligence] and Google Assistant [AI].
The following are reviews of five top-rated smart plugs currently available on the market:
- WYZE WLPP1 Smart Home Plug, Two-Pack, White
- meross Outdoor Smart Plug, Outdoor WiFi Outlet with 2 Grounded Outlets, Remote Control, Timer, Waterproof, Support Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, SmartThings and IFTTT, FCC Certified
- Smart Plug – Esicoo Smart Plug Certified Compatible with Alexa, Echo & Google Home –Only Cloud Intelligence App- Only WiFi 2.4G
- Wemo Insight Smart Plug with Energy Monitoring, WiFi Enabled, Control Your Devices and Manage Energy Costs From Anywhere, Works with Alexa and the Google Assistant
- 5Kasa Smart Plug HS103P4, Smart Home Wi-Fi Outlet Works with Alexa, Echo, Google Home & IFTTT, No Hub Required, Remote Control, 15 Amp, UL Certified,4-Pack, White
An outlet with extra protection from surges and spikes for your electronics. Many come with remote monitoring so you can receive text or email alerts when problems arise. They also often include scheduling capabilities, so you can set them up to work at times that will help save money on your energy bill such as during off-peak hours or only while you’re away from the house [even if you aren’t there].
- 1 1. WYZE WLPP1 Smart Home Plug, Two-Pack, White
- 2 2. meross Outdoor Smart Plug, Outdoor WiFi Outlet with 2 Grounded Outlets, Remote Control, Timer, Waterproof, Support Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, SmartThings and IFTTT, FCC Certified
- 3 3. Smart Plug – Esicoo Smart Plug Certified Compatible with Alexa, Echo & Google Home –Only Cloud Intelligence App- Only WiFi 2.4G
- 4 4. Wemo Insight Smart Plug with Energy Monitoring, WiFi Enabled, Control Your Devices and Manage Energy Costs From Anywhere, Works with Alexa and the Google Assistant
- 5 5. Kasa Smart Plug HS103P4, Smart Home Wi-Fi Outlet Works with Alexa, Echo, Google Home & IFTTT, No Hub Required, Remote Control, 15 Amp, UL Certified,4-Pack, White
What is a Smart Plug?
A smart plug, also called a power strip plugin, is a device that can be plugged into an outlet and controlled from anywhere.
This simple device can control any standard appliance (within the programmed limits) with WiFi through any secure connection like Apple TV, Amazon Echo, or Google Home voice commands. There are even options to download specialized apps for your smartphone so you have remote control over most of your devices without needing to take out your mobile phone each time you want to switch something on or off!
Choosing the best smart plug or outlet is hard, but this article will give you a few product options to explore.
Ultimately, the best smart plug for you is one that easily interacts with your devices. If you already have a HomePod mini or use an iPhone regularly, make sure to get a plug that supports Apple’s HomeKit protocol and can be controlled via Siri. Similarly, if you use Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant and are familiar with how they perform functions like turning off lights from afar, purchase plugs that support voice assistant products favored by these services
There are smart plugs that come with more advanced features available for people who want them such as support for specific brands.
So, if you can’t choose among the many smart light bulbs on the market and don’t want to spend a lot of money on new connected kitchen appliances, consider using a smart plug. Whether you’re just getting started with smart home technology or are an expert at writing your own IFTTT applets, this inexpensive device will make it simple and affordable for you to automate anything in your home.
1. WYZE WLPP1 Smart Home Plug, Two-Pack, White
Wyze is a voice-controlled smart plug that connects to Alexa and Google Assistant, so you can ask your smart assistant to control the devices in your home. Wyze plugs work with Alexa and Google Assistant for seamless voice control of connected devices. With Wyze, you can schedule on/off times, create schedules by time or day of the week, turn on/off lights from anywhere using the Wyze app, or by asking your smart assistant (e.g., “Alexa, turn off kitchen light”), and more.
- Command your home with your voice. Wyze plugs work with Alexa and Google Assistant for seamless voice control of connected devices. With Wyze, you can schedule on/off times, create schedules by time or day of the week, turn on/off lights from anywhere using the Wyze app, or by asking your smart assistant (e.g., “Alexa, turn off kitchen light”), and more.
- – Vacation mode makes it look like someone’s home! Schedule lights to come on and off at different times to make it look like someone is home when you are away.
- – Works with Alexa for voice control (hub required) and Google Assistant (hub required). Compatible with Amazon Echo Dot Gen 2nd generation and above; Apple HomeKit; Samsung SmartThings hub; Wink hub 2; Nest Learning thermostat; IFTTT via If This Then That applet.
Pros & Cons
- Easy to use, easy to connect, and set up.
- The remote access feature is a real plus! So far this smart plug has been great for turning on lights from anywhere you are at home or away from home.
- We have used it with the iPhone app, Amazon Echo [1st Gen] voice commands, and Google Home control.
- Remote access by cell phone, Alexa/Echo (requires upgrade) or google assistant is very nice.
- If you don’t want multiple “app” accounts for each way of controlling your items…this product works well!.
- Perfectly suited for our needs as we have several lamps which tend to get left on when we go out of town.
- Also good in that it does not require any additional hub/bridge for wifi connectivity.
- This item works better than the next-generation version of the same product. This is a very affordable smart plug as well as being versatile and easy to use!
- There is one thing that I would like to add, in my opinion, this device lacks an auto-off function which will be great if available.
- I see there are two versions in Amazon currently and just want to point out that this two-pack smart outlet does NOT come with a power switch anymore (as shown on the box)
The WYZE Home Smart Plug is a great entry-level device to get started with your smart home. It’s simple and you can control it from the Wyze app on your phone. That said, it does have some limitations compared to other devices…but for basic controls of items like lamps or fans in single rooms, it works just fine.
Overall, we recommend this product for its low price and ease of use (as well as its no-hassle return policy). But if you want smart plugs that offer a lot more control over your appliances, consider one of our top picks below.
Are you looking for something similar or different from our Top pick? Scroll back up and check out our
2. meross Outdoor Smart Plug, Outdoor WiFi Outlet with 2 Grounded Outlets, Remote Control, Timer, Waterproof, Support Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, SmartThings and IFTTT, FCC Certified
This is the perfect solution for outdoor or indoor electric appliances. The IP44 weatherproof housing can be installed in a variety of places and will last no matter what environment it’s exposed to! It works great with Christmas trees, gardens, lamps, sprinklers- you name it! With remote control capabilities from anywhere at any time thanks to Meross app compatibility on Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant (and SmartThings), this product provides convenience without compromising safety.
Features & Benefits
- Meross Smart WiFi Outdoor and Indoor Plug
- Had troubles with the WiFi signal in your home? The Meross smart plug has four times more coverage area and fewer interruptions than other brands.
- Perfect for outdoor use, while still conditioning power to protect against fire hazards.
- Adjustable high thresholds allow you to adapt products according to cable lengths, plugs types, or ambient surroundings—to guarantee the best possible wiring installation experience.
- Individual Sockets
- There are two sockets on this device. Use the Meross app or Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant voice commands to control them individually instead of only one at a time.
- Schedule Settings
- You can set schedules on a smart plug. For example, you could turn the garden light off at bedtime and have it come on automatically during sunset.
- The Meross Family
- Meross NPLUS offers an all-in-one app for controlling everything including smart plugs, power strips, inwall outlets, and more.
- Input: 100-125V~, 50/60Hz
- Output: 100-125V~
- 10A max. load for two sockets
- Power Cord: 7.5 inches long
- Wireless Standard: IEEE 802.11 b/g/n, 2.4GHz, 1T1R
- Operation Temperature: -4℉~104℉
Pros & Cons
- · Amazon Alexa Support: Control the device with voice commands from anywhere. Start cooking remotely on your way home by saying “Alexa, turn on the kitchen light”.
- · Works With Google Assistant for voice control (Google Home smart speaker required). Turn the lights on and off when you are away from home or simply don’t feel like getting up to push a button.
- · Works With IFTTT: Use this smart plug with hundreds of other products and apps that support the If This, Then That (IFTTT) service; for example, use IFTTT recipes to have your lights flash when you get an email or text message; set them to automatically turn off at sunrise or sunset based on your location; or sync them to the music you’re playing, turning your lights on when your favorite song starts playing.
- · Schedule Your Devices: On/Off schedule settings are great for use with lamps and other appliances that have different schedules throughout the day. Just plug it in, set the schedule, and never have to worry about turning things off again!
- · Control From Anywhere With Your Phone or Voice: Smart plugs let you control devices from anywhere in the world so there’s no need to worry if you left something running at home. Turning lights on while you sleep is as simple as checking into your baby’s nursery or turning off the TV before leaving work. You can even check where a device is.
- · Fairly Short Cable Length:
- · Two-Outlet Plug May Limit Use: Since only two outlets are available on the smart plug, you may not have enough room to plug in multiple items you want to be controlled by Alexa (for example). Plan and think about how many plugs
It is an all-in-one smart plug from Meross, so you can convert one or two outlets to a WiFi-controlled outlet. That means you can turn the on/off status of your appliances with voice commands via Google Assistant, Amazon Alexa, and IFTTT. The app is available in Google Play for Android and Apple Appstore for iOS.
Meross Outdoor Smart Plug is Great for Indoor or Outdoor use (temperature range: -35℃~85℃). It is Water Resistant(IP44), Fireproof(TUV Certified).
3. Smart Plug – Esicoo Smart Plug Certified Compatible with Alexa, Echo & Google Home –Only Cloud Intelligence App- Only WiFi 2.4G
Smart Plug is a wireless remote control power switch that can be controlled by a mobile phone APP. It has a Timer function, just set the timer and it will turn on or off at pre-set time automatically. You can use your mobile phone to control other home appliances remotely anywhere anytime.
Features & Benefits
- Smart Plug remote control: the smart plug works with Amazon Alexa and googles home which helps to manage your home devices through voice control. You can control home appliances remotely and smartly by your phone or tablet when you use the Only Cloud Intelligence App.
- Smart Plugs Timer function: switch your home appliances on/off automatically and intelligently by setting a specific time with the smart plug. You can make a schedule for the air conditioner and pre-set your house lit before coming home.
- Smart Plug Easy to install and use: this smart plug connects to the internet through a wi-fi network(only 2.4Ghz). no hub and subscription required, just plug it into an outlet, and connect a device to the smart plug, then wirelessly control home appliances whenever and wherever.
- Energy-saving and safe: with the convenient timer function, the smart plug can protect the devices safely and prevent your appliances from overcharging and overheating, and reducing energy use.
- Wide application: the smart socket can be used for any home appliances, such as lights, electric ovens, toasters, fans, air-conditioners, and coffee mills, etc. A strong signal ensures the connection between the network and sockets.
Pros & Cons
- Energy-saving and safe
- No hub or subscription required
- Can be controlled by APP.
- Easy to install 4) Wide application
- Hard to reset it (must press reset for 20 seconds)
Obviously, this product is not designed to replace a full-blown home automation system, but if all you want is basic remote control of devices that are hardwired into your house—things like lighting and appliances– then the Smart Plug is at least worth considering (especially since it’s one of the least expensive smart plugs available).
4. Wemo Insight Smart Plug with Energy Monitoring, WiFi Enabled, Control Your Devices and Manage Energy Costs From Anywhere, Works with Alexa and the Google Assistant
With the WeMo Insight switch, you can control your lamps and small appliances from anywhere. The best part? There is no central hub or subscription required! You can also use it to track how much energy a product uses without having to install an expensive monitor on each socket. When paired with Amazon Alexa, this gadget will allow you full voice-control over your home’s lighting system – there’s nothing more convenient than that!
Features & Benefits
- Works with Alexa for voice control (Alexa device sold separately).
- Energy efficiency. Save on your electric bills by programming the Insight Smart Plug to turn off unnecessary lights or appliances when you’re not home, and then have them turn back on automatically at a time of your choosing.
- With the Energy Monitoring Smart Plug, you have remote control and monitoring of how much energy each device is consuming. Just plug in a lamp or space-heater, set your budget, and it will alert you when you’re over budget.
- Protect your home better than with a mechanical timer. With the “Away Mode”, your lights will turn on and off randomly to confuse potential burglars and make it look like somebody is home.
Pros & Cons
✓ Energy tracking. You can monitor how much energy each device is using in your home, so you know how to adapt your electricity usage to save money on bills.
✓ Good range of compatible devices, including things like cameras and humidifiers.
✓ Works with Alexa if paired with Echo or Dot (Alexa device sold separately).
- no automatic scheduling and manually turn it on or off from the app/compatible voice assistant,
- It also doesn’t have native support for IFTTT or Alexa voice control integrations.
This is a solid option for people who are already invested in an existing Google Assistant, Samsung SmartThings, Stringify, or Alexa ecosystem. It doesn’t have native support for IFTTT or Alexa voice control integrations, but the included manual scheduling and easy UI make it worth the purchase price.
5. Kasa Smart Plug HS103P4, Smart Home Wi-Fi Outlet Works with Alexa, Echo, Google Home & IFTTT, No Hub Required, Remote Control, 15 Amp, UL Certified,4-Pack, White
The HS103 Kasa Smart Plug is the easiest way to start controlling lamps, fans, humidifiers, and other home electronics. With it adding voice control to any outlet you can enjoy hands-free convenience with this kit that has everything in one package: a smart plug with Google Assistant or Alexa built right in; all of your Wi-Fi connections automatically configured for an easy install process; plus step by step guidance through each installation phase as well as tips on how to get started using these powerful features once they are set up!
Feature & Benefits
- Smart Actions
- Create interactions with your plug and other Kasa products. Connect a lamp to your plug so that when your camera detects motion, your light turns on.
- Voice control: Kasa smart plugs that work with Alexa and Google Home Assistant. Enjoy the hands-free convenience of controlling any home electronic appliances with your voice via Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant
- The control is part of the app: You can manage your smart home devices with your smartphone, even when you are not at home by using your smart case.
- Schedule: The timer or countdown schedules allow you to set up your wifi plugged smart devices that will automatically turn on and off any at-home electronics such as lamps, fans, humidifiers, etc.
- Easy setup and use: 2.4GHz Wi-Fi connection is required for the plug-in device as well as open the app, follow the simple instructions which are easy to follow and enjoy!
- ★ Trusted ★ More than 500k users ★ Lists as a top product for PCMAG 2020
- This simple plug-in smart device can be used to remotely control any one electronic device that you already use.
Pros & Cons
- No hub is required for the devices to work.
- Voice control via Google home assistant or Amazon Alexa and hence easy to operate the device even when you are not at home. You can connect it to your smartphone via the Kasa app.
- The timer and countdown allow you automatically turn off or on any electronic gadget that you want saving both time and energy costs.
- This device does require a 2.4GHz WiFi connection for better performance and ease of use.
- This is, without doubt, a great product for its price and does deliver some of the best features that are usually only available in higher-priced devices.
They rely on a functioning internet connection for remote access. If there’s an outage in your service provider’s network then these devices won’t work until the problem is resolved. While this may not be a big issue for some people, keeping the smart devices on backup power is an excellent way to avoid outages altogether.
Some smart home providers don’t allow you to control your home remotely through their websites. For example, if you have a WeMo brand device that you want to set up at your vacation house but need to access its settings from a remote location, it may turn out that you can only adjust the thermostat or turn lights on and off from the actual house itself. In such cases installing and setting up a WiFi, extender could be a great help as they help boost wireless signals in other areas of your home, including your vacation place where you might need remote access to certain smart device settings.